Re: Easiest way to Debianise a package?

for me easiest way to create multiple packages from single autotools
based source  is using CDBS.
it is quite simple:
basically :

00 - in your control file:
   you describe all the packages you want (for example: packageX,
packageX-utils, packageX-data)
   add build dependeny on cdbs
01 - You create .install .docs .dirs .init .cron.d, etc for every
package that it is needed.
for example: packageX.install , packageX-utils.install packageX-data
02 - The most simple rules file using cdbs in that configuration would be:
include /usr/share/cdbs/1/rules/debhelper.mk
include /usr/share/cdbs/1/class/autotools.mk
03 - Create all shared files (copyright, compat, etc.)

This is just one simple example.
caio1982 has one great site [1] with rules files of all packages in
debian that use cdbs.  This can be of great help,

You can found cdbs documentation in  /usr/share/doc/cdbs/

This message express my humble opinion.

[1] 	http://cdbs.ueberalles.net