Re: debconf, debcamp and webbased goplay

On 3/18/08, Miriam Ruiz <little.miry@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/3/18, ivucica@gmail.com <ivucica@gmail.com>:
> >
> > Woah, woah, woah!
> >
> > Are you proposing patching upstream sources so all games use same
> > keyboard controls for "simple stuff"? I think that would go a bit TOO
> > DEEP with messing with the sources. Filesystem-related patching?
> > Great! Security patches? Ditto! But messing up with controls? Sorry,
> > that should be upstream's domain only.
>
> I think otherwise. I find it a great idea. It just needs to be
> carefully designed and implemented so that possible conflicts can be
> handled. Most upstream developers are usually very collaborative and
> open to new ideas, anyway.
>
> I'd also go for some standardization of config parameters, like some
> way of telling the games "open fullscreen/windowed whenever you can",
> "Start game in silent mode by default" and things like that.

Neither keybinding nor command line standardization is bad. In fact
it'd be nice to have alt+enter or ctrl+f as a default across all
games.

But after writing a standard proposal, upstream should decide
pro/contra implementing it. I'm just saying that debian-games
implementing such patches would move those games in direction of forks
instead of ports.

Ivan Vučica
-- Croatia --