Re: RFS: xlife

Bas Wijnen wrote:
On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 02:53:48PM -0500, Barry deFreese wrote:
Hi folks,

Hi,

I made a couple of minor changes to xlife if anyone has time to review and/or upload:

http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/x/xlife/xlife_5.0-8.dsc

It looks very good.  Just one thing though: the copyright file seems to
be only about the upstream source.  It should also contain a notice
about the Debian packaging.  It also seems incomplete with respect to
the upstream source.  For every (copyrightable) part, there must be a
statement about who owns the copyright (or that it's public domain, but
that's rare), plus a year.  Also, there must be a license, and that must
of course be compatible with the DFSG.  What I see is:

- Only one copyright claim, for "XLife".  It seems to be about the
  entire program.  However, there is also a list of other authors
  without a copyright claim.

I don't see any other claims of copyright.  How do I verify that?

- A license for the only copyright claim.  This seems to be about the
  entire program.  If this is correct, that is good. :-)  However, all
  copyright holders need to agree.  It's probably a good idea to send
  them (and Jon Bennett, too) a mail asking them who they think holds
  copyrights on (parts of) the code, so this can be properly noted.

Again, I see the other authors mentioned but no claims of copyright? BTW, I notice in the machine readable format that there is no Author: section. Is that correct?

- The license doesn't seem to be about the Debian packaging.  A license
  is needed for that as well.  The most usual choice is "the same as the
  program", but this must be explicitly done by the people who wrote the
  packaging.

So I need to try to track down the original maintainer and ask them about what license to put the packaging under?

- IMO it would be nice to follow the proposed machine-parsable copyright
  format[1].  This is of course optional.

Here is what I have so far.  Is this correct?

This package was debianized by Dave Holland <93djh2@eng.cam.ac.uk>
Thu, 5 Dec 1996 13:32:07 +0000.

It was adopted by Edward Betts <edward@debian.org>
Sun, 20 Feb 2000 11:30:18 +0000

It was adopted by Goswin Brederlow <goswin.brederlow@student.uni-tuebingen.de>
Thu, 2 Nov 2000 11:05:21 +0200

It was adopted by Debian Games Team <pkg-games-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>
Sat, 1 Mar 2008 11:05:21 -0500

Original source may be found at: http://www.catb.org/~esr/xlife-5.0.tar.gz
Files: *
Copyright: (c) 1989 Jon Bennett <jb7m+@andrew.cmu.edu>
License: other
/*
* XLife Copyright 1989 Jon Bennett jb7m+@andrew.cmu.edu, jcrb@cs.cmu.edu
*
* Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute, and sell this software and its * documentation for any purpose is hereby granted without fee, provided that
* the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that both that
* copyright notice and this permission notice appear in supporting
* documentation, and that the name of the copyright holders not be used in
* advertising or publicity pertaining to distribution of the software without
* specific, written prior permission.  The copyright holders make no
* representations about the suitability of this software for any purpose. It
* is provided "as is" without express or implied warranty.
*
* THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES WITH REGARD TO THIS SOFTWARE,
* INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS, IN NO
* EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT OR
* CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE,
* DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER
* TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR
* PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE.
*
* CMU SUCKS
*/
Files: debian/*
Copyright: Dave Holland <93djh2@eng.cam.ac.uk>
License: ?

If it's not possible get to all details, I think it's still acceptable
to upload it anyway.  However, I think we should at least try to make it
as correct as possible. :-)

Thanks,
Bas

Thanks!