Re: ufoai packages

On 23/02/2008, Yann Dirson wrote:
> Damned, that's a problem - who decides ? Sounds like this would need
> a GR like for the FDL :)

FWIW, I'd assume it's OK to upload that into main, and that ftpmasters
would take appropriate actions in case something's (very) wrong with
that license. IANADD, IANAL, etc.

> > Why not just using the pkg-games svn to store the debian/
> > directory?
>
> It's just that there is a debian/ tree in upstream SVN, because I
> happen to have done this and other things in that project. And I
> don't know what's the policy is about this for packages for which
> the legal status for each part has not been settled - it's not just
> about CC, it's mostly about those textures that original devs copied
> from who-knows-where presuming it was OK to do so...

I see. Common situation actually. You're welcome to host the debian/
directory in pkg-games's svn anyway, which is far better than an
upstream debian/ directory (see Joey Hess's blog for such reasons).
Even if it's not uploaded yet, one can keep track of it there.
Usually, either one should ask upstream to track down where the files
were copied from, or to replace them with files licensed under
suitable terms. Depending on the type of the files, you might just
strip them for the tarballs for some versions (e.g. music/sound files
might not be essential, and just deleted from the tarball), until some
free content is added back, or until original copyright holders
(re)license them under appropriate terms.

I hope it clarifies. Let me know if you have more questions.

Cheers,

--
Cyril Brulebois