Re: libjsw: lost interest - does anybody want to take over maintenance?

On Jan 21, 2008 5:00 AM, Darren Salt wrote:
> I've neglected libjsw for far too long; I just don't have any real interest
> in maintaining it these days (and anyway it's ages since I last used a
> joystick, and even then it was an old one with a standard DB9 connector).
>
> Does anybody want to take over maintenance? If so, say so before the end of
> the month to do so, else I'll file a bug report involving the letter 'O' ;-)
>
> Anybody who's interested should look here for what I last did to it:
>   http://alioth.debian.org/~dsalt-guest/libjsw/

    I've prepared a 1.5.6 package for Ubuntu (1) which could likely be
suitable for integration with the alioth changes to become 1:1.5.6-1,
which integration I'd be happy to do, although I'll need someone to
upload, and would like a second opinion of suitability before
injection into the Debian Games SVN.

> searchandrescue and oxine depend on libjsw, and bug 458774 says that oxine
> needs libjsw 1.56 (CC'ed accordingly); jscalibrator should be ported to GTK+2
> sometime.

    libjsw uses the older style joystick interface, and should likely
be adjusted to use the new kernel interfaces before they move from
deprecated to obsolete.  oxine could likely benefit from migration to
the new interfaces directly rather than using this library, but
searchandrescue appears tightly linked.

    While jscalibrator could be ported to GTK+2, I've encountered a
number of users who are confused by the existence of this tool, as it
only works for oxine and searchandrescue, whereas the more general
jscal utility (from the joystick package) seems to work for all
applications (including oxine and searchandrescue).  It could do as
well to just not be built, and users encouraged to use jscal (although
having a GUI for calibration is nice).

1: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libjsw/1:1.5.6-0ubuntu3

--
Emmet HIKORY