Re: RFS: vegastrike and vegastrike-data (updated packages)

Fabian Fagerholm wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-07-14 at 02:34 -0400, Andres Mejia wrote:
>> I am looking for a sponsor for the packages "vegastrike" and "vegastrike-data".
>
> I've enjoyed playing it from time to time, so I'm interested. But read
> on.
>
>> This is an update to the vegastrike and vegastrike-data package that
>> is already in Debian.
>
> There seems to have been some additional changes in the SVN repository
> on svn://svn.debian.org/pkg-games/packages/trunk/vegastrike -- would it
> make more sense to just point to svn tags in that repository and ask
> sponsors to build and upload that?

Usually we svn-buildpackage and then tag; the resulted files are used for upload requests after being uploaded to a
public place (usually mentors.debian.net). What we have in our repo is incomplete source trees (usually only the debian
directory) of the source package, thus one has to use svn-buildpackage (or duplicate by hand what it does) in order to
use the svn checkout directly.

> I only gave it a cursory look, but there seems to be an issue with the
> versioning. The last version in sid is 0.4.3.debian-1, which is greater
> than 0.4.3-7 (the last version in SVN). So you're more or less stuck
> with 0.4.3.debian-N until upstream releases 0.4.4 or greater. Or are you
> using x.y.z-N in SVN and expect a Debian sponsor to use x.y.z.debian-N
> when uploading? Please mention such things when asking for a sponsor.
>
> I can't see anything inherently wrong with the package at the moment,
> but you have been asked some questions in
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-games-devel/2007-July/003966.html that probably need to be answered first. Among other things, the team decision seems to be to use quilt and not dpatch.

Thank you! I was just about to send a mail about that.

>> Both of these packages require the orig tarball to be uploaded again
>> as there needed to be fixes in the source to address some lintian
>> warnings and errors.
>
> It's very good to have documented the steps you took to package the
> upstream source from their SVN, but if possible, to ease future
> maintenance, it would be a good idea to write a script that automates
> all the steps you took, and include it in the debian directory. Of

If such a tool is created, please consider calling it from the optional debian/rules target called "get-orig-source".
This target is specified in the policy and using the recommendation from the policy can only improve the experience when
somebody steps in and builds the package for a NMU or something like that.

> course, it'll need updating from time to time, but it would remove any
> ambiguity about what your orig tarball actually is meant to contain,
> while still allowing sponsors/uploaders to get "pristine" source from
> upstream.
>
> Anyway, could you clarify the work process and work with the pkg-games
> team -- if everyone there is busy then I suppose I could upload, but not
> until I know about how that team works and maintains this package.
> (Maybe I should join it -- have to give that some thought.) That would
> be good advice for any prospective sponsor, I suppose.

There is nothing in our work flow that forces one to contact "inside" developers first, if that's what you are thinking.
The way we work is mostly guided by these:
- http://wiki.debian.org/Games/ToolsDiscuss
- http://wiki.debian.org/Games/Development/BuildProcess

BTW the usage of quilt over dpatch is something more like a strong recommendation, but dpatch is acceptable, especially
if is not a package which added patch support and went for dpatch.

EddyP