Re: RFS: vegastrike and vegastrike-data (updated packages)

On 7/14/07, Fabian Fagerholm <fabbe@paniq.net> wrote:
On Sat, 2007-07-14 at 02:34 -0400, Andres Mejia wrote:
> I am looking for a sponsor for the packages "vegastrike" and "vegastrike-data".

I've enjoyed playing it from time to time, so I'm interested. But read
on.

> This is an update to the vegastrike and vegastrike-data package that
> is already in Debian.

There seems to have been some additional changes in the SVN repository
on svn://svn.debian.org/pkg-games/packages/trunk/vegastrike -- would it
make more sense to just point to svn tags in that repository and ask
sponsors to build and upload that?

I've included the extra changes found in SVN. It'll all be with this
version update. It would make more sense to use the SVN, but I'm not
sure if all sponsors would prefer getting the packages this way.

I only gave it a cursory look, but there seems to be an issue with the
versioning. The last version in sid is 0.4.3.debian-1, which is greater
than 0.4.3-7 (the last version in SVN). So you're more or less stuck
with 0.4.3.debian-N until upstream releases 0.4.4 or greater. Or are you
using x.y.z-N in SVN and expect a Debian sponsor to use x.y.z.debian-N
when uploading? Please mention such things when asking for a sponsor.

Well, I've changed the version to 0.4.3.debian-2. Upstream is planning
on releasing an update sometime in August. My intention was to drop
the version back to 0.4.3-x and maybe add a Replaces and Conflicts
field with vegastrike (=0.4.3.debian-1), but a new release is planned
anyways.

I can't see anything inherently wrong with the package at the moment,
but you have been asked some questions in
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-games-devel/2007-July/003966.html that probably need to be answered first. Among other things, the team decision seems to be to use quilt and not dpatch.

I've made some corrections from that email. The XS-* lines are back
in. I didn't think they were useful but Eddy brought up a good point.
I've documented the change with the Suggests line of vegastrike-data.
With the patch that modifies python1.5 to python, that was to fix a
lintian error. I've added a note in the changelog. Also, there's no
python1.5 in Debian anymore so I don't think there's a choice but to
use python instead. I've tested the game with this and it runs fine.
With the use of dpatch, it's acceptable to the team, yet quilt is
highly preferred. I just haven't used quilt enough to know if it
really is that much better to use as far as packaging goes. For now,
I've stuck with dpatch.

> Both of these packages require the orig tarball to be uploaded again
> as there needed to be fixes in the source to address some lintian
> warnings and errors.

It's very good to have documented the steps you took to package the
upstream source from their SVN, but if possible, to ease future
maintenance, it would be a good idea to write a script that automates
all the steps you took, and include it in the debian directory. Of
course, it'll need updating from time to time, but it would remove any
ambiguity about what your orig tarball actually is meant to contain,
while still allowing sponsors/uploaders to get "pristine" source from
upstream.

I'll do this if needed in the next release. I don't think there will
need to be any changes to the orig tarball after these changes.

Anyway, could you clarify the work process and work with the pkg-games
team -- if everyone there is busy then I suppose I could upload, but not
until I know about how that team works and maintains this package.
(Maybe I should join it -- have to give that some thought.) That would
be good advice for any prospective sponsor, I suppose.

This should be done now. As far as the collaboration with the team,
I've received some help and comments here and there. If there's
something wrong with a package, they either fix it or let me and/or
the others know. As far as how we maintain this package, there's a
general way the team handles all packages. We strive for using the
same tools (http://wiki.debian.org/Games/ToolsDiscuss) and there's
some goals set at http://wiki.debian.org/Games/Development . For
sponsors, there's some information at
http://wiki.debian.org/Games/Sponsors. Any suggestions is welcome.

I'm uploading the changes overnight. Should be all done in the next three hours.

Thanks.

Andres Mejia