Re: Adding secondlife viewer to Debian games SVN

--- Begin Message ---
Dear Paul Hampson,

I wanted to let you know I am working on answers to your questions below. Thanks for your patience. I hope to have a thorough response soon.

Best,
Liana Linden
Linden Lab Licensing

Paul TBBle Hampson wrote:
Dear Linden Research Licensing person,

I'm currently attempting to package the open source
Second Life Viewer for Debian [1], and in packaging the
artwork zipfile, a couple of issues came up.

Firstly, it's under the Creative Commons 2.5 BY-SA license,
which is not DFSG-Free [2,3] and so cannot be distributed as
part of the Debian archive.

The Creative Commons 3.0 BY-SA license [4] however appears to
be DFSG-Free, so would you be interested in relicensing the
artwork under that license, or another license?

I'm also a little concerned about the Distributing Second Life Software
page [5] as it doesn't seem to have any kind of middle ground between
"Unaltered binaries" and "Serious Modifications", neither of which I
feel accurately describes packages distributed in Debian (which are
all built from source, and have modifications as neccessary to make
them integrate as best possible with Debian as per Debian Policy) as
I'd prefer not to have to change the executable name as part of the
packaging process.

Also, the trademark statement in the artwork license concerns me a
little, as 74ba3584-58ea-9984-5b76-62d37942ab77.tga for example is
obviously a Linden trademark.

And in order to comply with the DFSG, it would need to be
derivable-from, and the trademark FAQ says that this is not allowed.

The direct solution I guess for the artwork issue would be to replace
any included Linden trademark images in the open-source distributions
with an icon that does the same thing but without including any of your
trademarks.

So I guess the question on this matter is, in the artwork distribution
(I'm looking at 1.14.1.1) is there any other material you consider to be
your trademark, so that I can investigate replacement thereof? (I
haven't yet looked through the j2c files yet...)

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/406335
[2] http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines
[3] http://people.debian.org/~evan/ccsummary
[4] http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/legalcode
[5] http://secondlife.com/corporate/trademark/distribution.php

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Paul,
I'm sorry for the delay. We are actively working on this. Your request is on the radar and being tracked, and you will get a response as soon as we have one. Thanks again for your patience.
Best,
Liana