Re: Introduction

        Hi!

 Please don't Cc people offlist - especially not if they already wrote
in the thread and haven't asked for offlist copies explicitly...  I did
so neither, people are expected to read the lists they write to or make
sure themself that they follow the discussion.  Thanks.

* Vincent Fourmond <fourmond@gmail.com> [2007-10-03 10:05:23 CEST]:
> Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
> > * Vincent Fourmond <fourmond@debian.org> [2007-10-02 22:16:38 CEST]:
> >  I expect you have read the past threads with regard to that game,
> > especially to the licensing issues of the data in it?
>
>   I didn't find any thread about that on debian-devel-games.

 That's pretty sad because it's quite easy to find, either through our
own list search engine or through google, please read up here:
<http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-games/2007/07/threads.html#00046>

> Could you elaborate ? For now, I see only two problems:
>   * a font's license is not clear - I will either contact the author for
> a clear statement or try to find a free equivalent font

 Yes, that was one point.

>   * some pictures are copyrighted by a company, but they can't be
> copyrighted, as they are fidel copies of art work long gone into the
> public domain (see
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridgeman_Art_Library_v._Corel_Corp). If
> that causes problem, we could find a way around that too, though I tend
> to think it would be much pain for not much.

 I'm not too sure if that is the thing mentioned in the former mentioned
thread as David Rumsey Map Collection?

>   Unfortunately, currently, java+swing (java's native GUI) means that we
> need to use sun's. But my understanding was that Sun would be releasing
> a new version of Java under the GPL. Once there, we could move
> everything to main.

 Ah, alright - just wanted to mention it.  Btw., were you able to build
all the jar stuff yourself?  Tolimar wasn't[2], and thus would mean it
can't really go to contrib and isn't distributable under the GPL all
together.

 So long,
Rhonda
[1] <http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-games/2007/07/msg00066.html>