Re: Introduction

Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
> * Vincent Fourmond <fourmond@debian.org> [2007-10-02 22:16:38 CEST]:
>>   I probably should do so as well... I was added to the team a few days
>> ago by Miriam. Currently, my main goal is to finish to package freecol,
>> a pretty nice GPLed game in the spirit of Civilization (but in Java, so
>> contrib for now). You might have seen the few SVN commits tonight.
>
>  I expect you have read the past threads with regard to that game,
> especially to the licensing issues of the data in it?

  I didn't find any thread about that on debian-devel-games. Could you
elaborate ? For now, I see only two problems:
  * a font's license is not clear - I will either contact the author for
a clear statement or try to find a free equivalent font
  * some pictures are copyrighted by a company, but they can't be
copyrighted, as they are fidel copies of art work long gone into the
public domain (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridgeman_Art_Library_v._Corel_Corp). If
that causes problem, we could find a way around that too, though I tend
to think it would be much pain for not much.

> And, erm, java doesn't mean contrib by itself, I remember there was something about
> getting it run with kaffe in the threads, too.

  Unfortunately, currently, java+swing (java's native GUI) means that we
need to use sun's. But my understanding was that Sun would be releasing
a new version of Java under the GPL. Once there, we could move
everything to main.

  Regards,

	Vincent