Re: Question: transitioning towards XDG Base Directory Specification?

* Miriam Ruiz <little.miry@gmail.com> [2007-09-17 16:23:35 CEST]:
> 2007/9/17, Gerfried Fuchs <rhonda@deb.at>:
> >  We should actively encourage upstream to adopt to it, not do it just
> > for ourself.  There are several reasons behind it (not doing it just for
> > ourself), including having to maintain patchsets and being able to offer
> > a proper backward compatibility layer.
>
> Well, leaving apart the fact that we should engourage active upstreams
> to do so and blah blah blah, no one has answered ma question about
> whether we should support it or not.

 Well, that depends on what hops you want to jump through for supporting
it.  Like I said, I'm all in favour of the freedesktop approach, and
when we actually already _do_ have to patch to support storing of
personal data it makes pretty much sense to follow in that direction
than not going that way.

 Where there _is_ already some dotfile handling by upstream I don't see
this issue as too sever to "fork" that part from upstream and possibly
puzzle users of that software that come from other distributions.  In
that case it is a change that has to go through upstream, even if they
are not responsive, but for the sake of compatibility with other
distributions that ship their software, too.

 Hope that answers your question now for real. :)
Rhonda