Re: Question: transitioning towards XDG Base Directory Specification?

* Miriam Ruiz <little.miry@gmail.com> [2007-09-17 14:52:10 CEST]:
> I've put a comment in my weblog today about storing game data in
> $HOME, and I've received a really interesting comment that I'd like to
> discuss here:
>
> """
> 1. http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-0.6.html
> """

 To be honest, I am all for not having tons of dotfiles in the home
directly, I was used to clutter my environment with variables to move
things away.

> Do you think we should try to move all our patched games to use this
> spec instead of creating more dotfiles directly in $HOME?

 We should actively encourage upstream to adopt to it, not do it just
for ourself.  There are several reasons behind it (not doing it just for
ourself), including having to maintain patchsets and being able to offer
a proper backward compatibility layer.

 So long,
Rhonda