Re: RFC: screenshot in packages

On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 06:38:19PM +0300, Eddy Petri??or wrote:
> On 4/27/06, Bas Wijnen <shevek@fmf.nl> wrote:
> > The reply on that one (setting this up in parallel to the current system)
> > seems very doable, and would be a good idea, I think.  What we would need:
> > - Some space on a reliable machine with enough bandwidth.  Can alioth be used
> >   for something like this?
>
> Alioth machines were always loaded, AFAIK, but we could try. This
> could match (partly) the idea of having our own web page for the Games
> Team.

Well, I think we should have a place that can take the load.  I'm not sure how
much it will be.

> >  Or can a DD put it on his/her Debian homepage?
> >   I'm not sure how much load it will generate, and which machines would be
> >   best for handling that.
> > - A format for the Pixmaps file (the part that should be in Packages, but
> >   won't be until it's proven itself).
> > - A patch for Synaptic to start (and later the D-I as well).
>
> That would mean for everyone wanting to use this to have a patched
> Synaptic package (and maybe other managers, like aptitude),

Yes.

> which seems to be a bottleneck.

I meant that these patches should be pushed upstream, so people use the
patched version automatically. :-)  Of course upstream must agree that it's a
good idea, but I think we should be able to convince them (if we have at least
some database to show that it works).

> Probably only having a plain site with which the patched manager would speak
> plain HTML (wget maybe) would be a good idea. I think that
> screenshots.debian.net should be avialable ;-)

Sounds good.

> > It would probably be good to make this work similarly to debtags, where
> > anyone can submit changes to the database.  With debtags, all those
> > changes are hand-reviewed, which is a bottleneck.  It's probably better to
> > allow DDs (with a signed e-mail) to send updates directly.
>
> Probably, yes. What about non-DDs and the actual maintainers? Probably
> they should be allowed to review their own packages' screenshots,
> right?

No, I don't think so.  The idea of trust in Debian is quite simple: DDs are
trusted, others are not.  So if your key is not in the Debian keyring, there
is no way to check that you are who you claim to be.

Of course maintainers can do these things through their sponsors if that would
speed things up (but it may not, since the hand-review shouldn't take that
long).

Thanks,
Bas