Re: texmf.cnf again

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 13:25:07 +0200, Marcelo E Magallon <mmagallo@debian.org> said:

>  I think it's worth noticing this:

> $ kpsewhich cnf texmf.cnf /usr/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf

>  With that and the output of kpsepath cnf, as far as I can see,
>  /etc/texmf/texmf.cnf will be never read, will it?

	No. Instead of overwriting the users configuration, we either
 ignore it, or we stop providing the user the chance to integrate
 developer suggestions -- so depending on the answer to the debconf
 questions, /etc/texmf/texmf.cnf is either a configuration file, or
 cruft.

	This still either holds the user a hostage (gimme control of
 your configuration files) or relegates them to the ghetto where they
 are never informed of changes in maintainer suggestions.

	I think that is why tetex packaging is stll suboptimal -- if I
 chose to have my own texmf.cnf; I'll have to check the generated one
 after every upgrade, and try and recall if there were any changes
 there. Unlike conffiles, where I am asked if and only if there were
 changes in what the maintainer suggested.

	I would consider this lack of notification that upstream has
 changed, and the ability torun diff to see where the upstream
 changed, a bug in TeTeX's handling of the texmf.cnf

	manoj
--
There never was a good war or a bad peace. Franklin