Re: texmf.cnf again

On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 11:16:50PM +0200, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:

>  After reading between the lines... how exactly do you picture these
>  packages (tetex & Co.) achieving this:

>     - Use ucf to avoid pushing users to the ghetto
>     - Use only /etc/texmf/texmf.cnf (instead of /etc/texmf/texmf.d/...)
>     - Conform to policy

>  I'm not saying these are necessarely incompatible with each other, but
>  I don't think it's straighforward.  Maybe the second point is something
>  you don't actually have in mind...

I keep on thinking that the easiest thing would be to work with upstream
to get texmf.d supported directly there so there's no need to manually
update a central configuration file.  This would not only be policy
conforming but also allow users of other systems (which presumably run
into similar problems) to benefit.