Re: automake/autoconf/libtool -- convince me

On Tue, 2003-06-10 at 21:13, Joey Hess wrote:
> Jeremy T. Bouse wrote:
> > 	I've also had problems where packages I've already uploaded
> > have problems on X arch and simply updating to the latest files from
> > autotools and running automake & family solves the build problems...
>
> Right, config.sub and config.guess are the canoical example. Any
> estimates on how many man-weeks of porter time has been wasted filing
> bug reports on those?

One problem with automatically updating config.{sub,guess} by running
the autotools like you suggest is that it will (as James Troup points
out in http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=195531) hide
problems.  If config.{sub,guess} are outdated, upstream should be
prodded.

But that doesn't mean that we can't temporarily update it for Debian, as
long as we still get the lintian warning about outdated versions, which
will hopefully remind the Debian maintainer to prod upstream.  This is
implemented in cdbs.