Re: What's wrong with openldap2? (Getting it into testing)

On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 09:00:11PM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Ian Eure (ieure@debian.org) wrote:
> > On Tuesday 10 June 2003 07:52 am, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > > If you or anyone else out there is familiar with both OpenSSL and GNU
> > > TLS and is interested in working on it please let me know.  Upstream
> > > has implied that they'd be happy to incorporate a clean patch which adds
> > > GNU TLS support.

> > I thought I had heard that GNU TLS has an OpenSSL-compatible API.

> It does, it's pretty far from complete and doesn't seem likely to become
> otherwise.  Check the bugs against it or feel free to give it a shot
> yourself.

The OpenSSL compatibility layer is also licensed under the GPL, not
under the LGPL, making it unsuitable for use by libraries -- only by
applications.  Indeed, this makes it all but useless, period, since most
applications that use OpenSSL directly already have upstreams who
*endorse* linking against libssl, and who therefore are willing to grant
license exceptions for the purpose.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer