Re: automake/autoconf/libtool -- convince me

On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 09:00:57PM +0100, James Troup wrote:
> Andreas Metzler <ametzler@downhill.at.eu.org> writes:
>
> > Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> wrote:
> > [invoking autoconf/automake... at build time instead of shipping the
> > results in the diff]
> > Quoting autotools-dev/README.Debian.gz
> > | And it wastes CPU time in auto-builders, too. Do recall that some
> > | architectures are very slow (m68k, for example), and that any wastage
> > | of auto-build time is a severe problem for Debian as a whole (it
> > | delays packages from moving to Debian testing, for one!).
> >
> > This might not be a very strong argument but it holds.
>
> No, it doesn't.  It's a stupid argument[1].  I can guarantee you that
> slower architectures (and I maintain buildds for one of them) will not
> notice the noise of autoconf/automake in the big picture.

	I've also had problems where packages I've already uploaded
have problems on X arch and simply updating to the latest files from
autotools and running automake & family solves the build problems... If
it's that easy to insure that it uses the current build environment
there is no reason to apply it, diff it and upload it only to do another
upload because X need'd it done with the latest build environment but
everything else has built and running it fine...

	Regards,
	Jeremy