Re: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

* Anthony DeRobertis <asd@suespammers.org> [030329 15:34]:
> > If you want /etc/ to be mounted ro you'll still need to do your
> > homework. For example you'll need to use something like NIS for
> > authentication because otherwise users could not change their own
> > passwords (/etc/shadow) anymore.
>
> Correct. I could also move /etc/shadow elsewhere, though I might have to
> fiddle with locking code to make that work...

I think /etc/shadow is good where it is. Somewhere the root-password has
to be stored and this is merely static. There are /etc/nsswitch and
/etc/pam.d/passwd for people wanting users passwords store elsewhere.

Hochachtungsvoll,
  Bernhard R. Link

--
Sendmail is like emacs: A nice operating system, but missing
an editor and a MTA.