Re: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

On Fri, 2003-03-28 at 18:52, Goswin Brederlow wrote:

> /etc/volatile

"It is possible to define two independent categories of files: shareable
vs. unshareable and variable vs. static. There should be a simple and
easily understandable mapping from directories to the type of data they
contain: directories may be mount points for other filesystems with
different characteristics from the filesystem on which they are
mounted." (FHS 2.2, Section 2, Paragraph 2)[0]

/etc/volatile breaks that.
/run doesn't.

With /run, we can finally have an /etc which is actually all static
configuration data.

Another suggestion, I think, was /dev/shm...

[0] Interestingly, Table 2.1 lists /etc as possibly static,
    which is (currently) self-contradictory.