Re: BSP results

On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 08:50:58AM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> but the bsp provides other benefits, like coordination, a privileged
> comunication channel, and so on. What about making these things
> available also during normal time, and having some kind of
> coordination/status report/whatever web page in addition to the RC bugs
> list ?

Up until a few months back, that was available on
http://bugs.debian.net/. To a first approximation, nobody used it
outside bug-squashing parties, even though it was still available. Of
course, maybe that was because it was sometimes a bit cumbersome.

I do intend to resurrect something like that at
http://bugs.qa.debian.org/, but I'm not really sure why the bug tracking
system itself isn't adequate. People making NMUs should be sending mails
to the BTS fairly verbosely anyway, which normally seems pretty good for
normal coordination to me. The only times I've ever clashed with other
people are when one or the other of us wasn't communicating sufficiently
with the bug report to say what was happening.

> Where people interested in fixing bugs would register, discuss
> among themselves, and fix bugs, or something such.

s/register, //

#debian-bugs used to get some of that kind of traffic outside BSPs. I
don't know if it still does. Unless things have changed drastically I
see no reason why it wouldn't be welcome.

> Or a bug-squashing mailing list ? Seing other people fixing bugs may
> be a good incentive to do the same. Maintainers who have problem with
> specific bugs they cannot solve could post for help there, and people
> could check the existing bugs and communicate with the maintainers
> about them, or isolate RC bugs which have had no activity since a long
> time.

Definitely sounds like the BTS to me. We've got debian-bugs-dist, the
help tag, and mail to bug reports. Activity reports are best done by
scripts running on master (look at the mtime of the bug .log). I don't
think it's a good idea to encourage a second canonical place to discuss
existing bugs, as that renders it very difficult to track down all the
bug discussion later.

Cheers,