Re: RFC: New required package: libblkid1

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 01:27:19 -0500
Theodore Ts'o <tytso@mit.edu> wrote:
> simply be mounted early.  The whole point of /run is because it needs
> to be on the root.  The question then is that if /run must be on the
> root, and /etc must be on the root, why bother separating the two?

I believe the basic premise is that some people would like /etc to be
mounted read-only in some configurations, and that /etc should hold only
human-readable, admin-modifiable files.

(Somebody else has suggested /etc/volatile or somesuch, which I would be
just as happy with. Not that I care a whole lot either way. I know what
files I can edit and which I can't, and I'm lucky enough that I don't
have any configuration which would benefit much from a read-only /etc.)