Re: AMD response about Debian x86-64 port

On 10-Jan-03, 08:54 (CST), Bart Trojanowski <bart@jukie.net> wrote:
> However, since we are already recompiling applications on the x86-64 to
> run in 32-bit more, we should recompile them in 64-bit mode to improve
> performance (wider registers, 8 additional general purpose registers,
> etc).

It's worth noting that this is not a universal truth. Compiling in
64-bit mode tends to increase both data and code size, which in turn
tends to increase load time and cache usage. Whether or not this effect
is significant relative to the gains provided by using 64 bit mode is
dependent on the application and the system (i.e. everything :-().

Now, simplicity and package porter sanity may just say "compile
64-bit unless there is a functional reason not to", but 64bit->better
performance is not a forgone conclusion.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland

    world.       -- seen on the net