Re: AMD response about Debian x86-64 port

* Steve Greenland <steveg@moregruel.net> [030110 15:01]:
> Now, simplicity and package porter sanity may just say "compile
> 64-bit unless there is a functional reason not to", but 64bit->better
> performance is not a forgone conclusion.

I agree.  64bit is not an improvement for _all_ applications.  However,
please remember that the "64-bit" mode of x86-64 not only doubles the
width of registers, but also doubles the number of them.  While being
bigger and hence increasing load time, switching software to this mode
(from 32bit compatibility mode) will benefit from this greatly in some
cases.

B.

--
				WebSig: http://www.jukie.net/~bart/sig/