Re: Why are new package versions depending on libc6 in unstable?

On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 10:21:24PM -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@debian.org> [2002-11-18 21:06:17 -0700]:
> > I don't know for certain, but I find it hard to belive that so many
> > minor debian versions are changing binary compatibility in any way at
> > all.
> Changing the version number does not mean that they *did* change
> compatibility.  It only means that they *might* have changed it.  How
> are you to know in a concrete and automated way?

You don't -- that's why we have maintainers who can use intelligent judgement
to see when things *do* actually change.

The frequency of glibc bumps is due to ABI incompatabilities in various
minor subsystems, apparently, that don't affect most packages, but the
only way of coping with the few that are affected is to bump the version
in the shlibs for all of them. AIUI / as it was explained to me.

Cheers,
aj