Re: Why are new package versions depending on libc6 in unstable?

On Tue, 19 Nov 2002, Anthony Towns wrote:

> The frequency of glibc bumps is due to ABI incompatabilities in various
> minor subsystems, apparently, that don't affect most packages, but the
> only way of coping with the few that are affected is to bump the version
> in the shlibs for all of them. AIUI / as it was explained to me.

Well, our glibc must be pretty patched up (and RH/etc incompatible!) in
that case..

There is a fairly simple way to tell if the ABI has changed - diff all the
header files that are installed then examine the exported symbols of the
shared library. If the header files are identical (within reason), and the
symbol list is the same then the libaries are ABI compatible. You have to
check all the symbols versions and elf symbol sizes when looking at the
library too.

Looking at the changelog, maybe the answer is that we need per-arch
shlibs, alot of bumps could potentially be due to other arches getting
patched up, but for instance i386 staying the same..

Jason