Re: Why are new package versions depending on libc6 in unstable?

Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@debian.org> [2002-11-18 21:06:17 -0700]:

> That may be, but there are still a surprising number of unique version
> numbers being used in the shlibs for glibc:
>
> wakko{jgg}~#apt-cache dump | grep "Depends: libc6" | sort -u
> [...15 lines of depends deleted...]
>
> I don't know for certain, but I find it hard to belive that so many
> minor debian versions are changing binary compatibility in any way at
> all.

Changing the version number does not mean that they *did* change
compatibility.  It only means that they *might* have changed it.  How
are you to know in a concrete and automated way?

Bob