Re: orphaning my packages

On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 10:43:32AM +1100, Jonathan Oxer wrote:
> > But this is upside down!  An advocate is someone who has worked with the
> > applicant, and can vouch first-hand for his fitness to become a DD.  How
> > would requesting an advocate on debian-mentors fit with that?  Is the
> > applicant in question not actually involved with Debian work yet, or do
> > none of the people he's worked with feel he should be a DD (!)?

> From what I understand, asking for an advocate on debian-mentors is not
> asking for someone to blindly say "yep, let them in" no questions asked.

> It's asking for someone to take the time to work through issues with the
> applicant to make sure they have a handle on the requirements of the
> job. Having spent time with them (in person or not) the advocate should
> have a feeling for the fitness of that applicant to proceed (or not).

I'm questioning whether it's ever appropriate to ask for an advocate in
a public forum.  An advocate should by definition be someone who is
already familiar with the applicant's work in Debian.  Asking for an
advocate on debian-mentors is akin to walking into a crowded room and
asking, "Will someone here be my friend?" -- effective at attracting
attention, but doesn't necessarily get you where you're trying to go any
quicker. :)

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer