USB floppy in Debian (was Re: Definite menu code rewrite (update - Jul 23))

On Jul 23, Vinicius Kursancew wrote:
> I'm also trying to get my usb floppy to work... if you find a way to
> do it, could you tell me?

This seemed to work for me:

- Include the USB Mass Storage driver in the kernel.  (Reboot if needed.)
- Attach floppy drive to a free USB port (BUT not an unpowered hub)
- cat /proc/scsi/scsi

You should find your USB floppy drive in the list.  (Mine was
identified as a TEAC something or other, even though it had Toshiba
written on it.)

- Figure out which direct-access SCSI device it is (1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.)
- mount -t vfat /dev/sdX /floppy
  where X is a, b, c... corresponding to 1st, 2nd, 3rd...

This at least worked with my ACPI-patched 2.4.18.  YMMV.

Chris
--
Chris Lawrence <cnlawren@olemiss.edu> - http://www.lordsutch.com/chris/

Instructor and Ph.D. Candidate, Political Science, Univ. of Mississippi
208 Deupree Hall - 662-915-5765