Re: Current environment to support different themes

On dim., 2010-06-20 at 10:27 -0300, Valessio Brito wrote:
> My English is not enough to understand and discuss.

It might be a problem, if we can't discuss properly that kind of thing
it might be hard to find a consensus in the end :/ And the wiki page is
hard to read too, and I don't know enough what you're trying to achieve
to edit it and fix it.

>  Sorry... Since
> 2008[1], tried for debconf8 proposed facility for customizing themes
> in debian.
>
> A theme for me is not only images, icons and cursors. Is there other
> configurations and settings for different resolutions and work
> environment.
>
> Possibility of an issue for children, or a subject accessible to
> colorblind. It is not just changing the images on a desktop.
>
> Standardize a framework of themes is the first step in identifying the
> individual needs of each appearance.
>
> This is not a process to change it quickly, we can begin defining a
> new structure and inserting new specific topics (themes packages).

I still don't know what your proposal will do which is not doable at the
moment. But yeah, maybe on the long term having a consistent naming
scheme would be nice, but at the moment we have:

* Debian branding, which is in desktop-base
* various themes, which might not even have stuff for all environment,
and thus are usually called only *-themes or $de-*, and only ship some
artwork and configuration file.

What I understand is that you want to introduce “large” theme which
would ship stuff for every (major?) desktop environment, icons, cursors,
etc. Fine, just do it, bonus point for doing it with a consistent scheme
from the beginning, but I'm not sure it has to mess with existing themes
which don't ship everything.

Cheers,
--
Yves-Alexis