Re: Current environment to support different themes

On dim., 2010-06-20 at 09:03 -0300, Valessio Brito wrote:
> Imagine: Can I make a default installation and during the installation
> process choose "netbook", he knows it will install:
> themes-netbook-all, the whole environment must be customized in size,
> fonts and style for small screens.

I'm not sure we need a netbook task (especially about theme stuff), but
even if we did, we only need to add correct dependencies.

> Another possibility is to install the subject site or a customized
> debian, type themes-debianedu-all ... or themes-brdesktop-all ...
> BrDesktop is adapting the theme to debian Brazilians.

Having consistent naming might be nice, but I'm not sure it's that badly
needed, and renaming all the themes for squeeze won't happen.

What exactly is the point of splitting a theme in various sub-packages?
I can understand the split icons/cursors/themes because of spaces
issues, but I'm not sure we need to split kdm/gdm/usplash/whatever,
since (afaik) it's only description, usually. Adding a theme in Debian
would mean adding a lot of binary packages for no good reason, imho. And
it means we need a metapackage if we don't want to “undermine the basic
user select a theme complete” (I can't parse that sentence but I guess
it can be decrypted as “undermine the user ability to select a complete
theme” ?)

For the directory structure, I'm not sure I see what you mean. Do you
mean the source package structure or the binary one? (I guess it makes
sense to split by folder, not sure if it's that badly needed to force
people to use that structure, but eh, whatever)

In the end, what I especially don't get is what the proposal is about?
Rename all themes-related packages in Debian? Propose a common ground
for Debian branding/artwork? You need to be more specific and clear
about that because I have to admit I'm completely lost.

Cheers,
--
Yves-Alexis