Re: Artwork to Debian Squeeze

On jeu., 2010-06-03 at 15:58 +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 2:02 PM, Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > What do you think?
>
> The space theme is lovely!
>
> The stars theme could maybe do with a tiny reference to New York /
> DebConf10 amongst the buildings to the bottom right ;)
>
> I wonder if full icon themes are too much work to do in the remaining
> time before squeeze releases. It might be possible to do one for
> squeeze+1 if it is started immediately after the squeeze release.
>
> BTW, is there any package collecting artwork from previous Debian releases?
>
> In addition to artwork, we need some "About Debian" items in system
> menus (#473892).

Yeah, we just need someone to cook that html page and install
the .desktop file in the correct folder.

> Since Debian is going down the track of branding, I think all desktop
> environments (inc KDE) should be branded.

Well, I'm beeing pragmatic on this. There are a lot of DEs, some simpler
than other. If their maintainer is interested in having the branding,
they can work on their packages to have them support the common stuff
(like picking the wallpaper
from /usr/share/images/desktop-base/desktop-background).

>  I also agree with Sune that
> removing desktop-base should remove all branding. Currently that isn't
> possible for GNOME (and KDE it seems) at least, some upstreamable
> patches will need to be added to achieve this (by using
> foo-branding.png image names or similar).

Not really, you just have to put configuration file in the right place.
When the DE supports freedesktop.org standards, that's easy, you just
have to put it at the right place in $XDG_CONFIG_DIR. For Xfce we do
that by patching, but we could explore new ways to do that, by exporting
XDG_CONFIG_DIR before starting X (in /etc/X11/Xsessions.d for example).

> On desktop-base, I think it is completely the wrong name for the
> package and we should use debian-branding-* packages instead or
> somethink like Ubuntu's naming scheme.

I have to admit I don't care at all. The package is installed by
default, may be recommended by DE packages interested in Debian
branding. I'm fine with the desktop-base name :0

Cheers,
--
Yves-Alexis