Re: Xfce Etch, installation report for desktop

Loïc Minier wrote:
> The default background is controlled by alternatives and I imagine the
> alternatives could be changed or extended by another package such as
> for CDDs; granted these could also change the desktop-base package's
> dependencies as well if they opt for customizing the backgrounds
> shipped by desktop-base.

Yes, CDDs could need to change anything, and yet we still have
dependencies in Debian.

>  Most packages using optionally SVG graphics via Gtk Recommend
>  librsvg2-common (shipping the Gtk module), that's why I opted for the
>  same solution here.

Hmm, gnome-themes doesn't, it depends on it. In fact, the actual numbers
are that 12 packages depend on it, 3 packages recommend it, and 1
package suggests it. Of the recommending packages, eog and nautilus can
optionally use it to display user's svg files, and gtk-smooth-themes
contains several themes, only one of which uses svg files. desktop-base
seems less similar to those than to gnome-themes, gdm, and similar
packages that depend on it since they need to be able to use their svg
files.

>  I don't think it's too dramatic to make that a
>  Depends instead if this is e.g. until tasksel pulls Recommends and to
>  avoid hardcoding this information in the tasksel package.

This would be the only versioned library package to be explicitly listed
in tasksel, so I'd prefer to avoid that.

--
see shy jo