Re: Xfce Etch, installation report for desktop

Loïc Minier wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 21, 2007, Joey Hess wrote:
>> My understanding is that the svg background is the default. Why would
>> you want to not have the default background available if you were using
>> the splash screens, etc?
>
>  The default background is controlled by alternatives and I imagine the
>  alternatives could be changed or extended by another package such as
>  for CDDs; granted these could also change the desktop-base package's
>  dependencies as well if they opt for customizing the backgrounds
>  shipped by desktop-base.
>
>  Most packages using optionally SVG graphics via Gtk Recommend
>  librsvg2-common (shipping the Gtk module), that's why I opted for the
>  same solution here.  I don't think it's too dramatic to make that a
>  Depends instead if this is e.g. until tasksel pulls Recommends and to
>  avoid hardcoding this information in the tasksel package.

Why not change the default desktop image to a generally usable format. A
lowest common denominator format so that all platforms can use it out of
box? I like svg better than anything else for this case but not all
desktop environs support it. I hate to think that jpeg or png are the
safest choice, but it may well be. Otherwise the dependancies for svg
need to be pushed by desktop base. In that way desktop-base will work
more effectively.

Alternately you can have packages that need data from desktop-base use
update-alternatives set the background or content as needed. Although
the content handling might be tricky.

Just some thoughts...

Matthew McGuire