Re: desktop-base 4.0.0 MIGRATED to testing

Debian testing watch wrote:
> FYI: The status of the desktop-base source package
> in Debian's testing distribution has changed.
>
>   Previous version: 0.3.20
>   Current version:  4.0.0

Ok,

I thought we reported this a couple months back, and that it was to be
resolved... but now that Desktop Base has migrated I decided to see if
it was still a problem.

A screen shot from before upgrade:
http://www.shadowglade.net/images/BeforeScreenshot.png

A screen shot from after upgrade:
http://www.shadowglade.net/images/AfterScreenshot.png

No offense to the artist involved but that looks horrid. The previous
was professional, subdued, and yet effectively branded as Debian.

The current solid white swirl is garish and visually distracting. From
an ergonomic and graphic design point of view this is embarrassing.

Visual elements on the desktop should not distract or interrupt the
viewing experience of the user. This jumps from screen and beats the
swirl into my forehead leaving a noticeably sore but visible tattoo...
well not really but jebus! You might as well poke my eyes out with it
already! :-)

Was this intended? I don't recall this image on the candidate list at
all, and yet it is here.

Adding insult to injury (or maybe that's the other way around), I no
longer have a copy of the previous desktop background that I actually
liked! Clobbering the file completely is ridiculous when we have many
prior desktop backgrounds from long ago. Could we have at least renamed
the nice one and kept it too? Fortunately I have an old copy in a chroot
that I could rescue it from.

Sorry if I seem harsh, but I really really think this is a bad choice.
Please, please tell me it is an honest mistake.

Thanks,

Matthew McGuire

PS: Sorry if you got two of these, I think I sent it to a dead email
address the first time.