Re: Etch Artwork

On 9/21/06, André Luiz Rodrigues Ferreira <andrelrf@gmail.com> wrote:
2006/9/20, Fathi Boudra <fboudra@gmail.com>:
> hi,
>
> nice work !
>
> some comments now :) i would like to avoid text on the wallpaper. Debian logo
> will suffice to show that you are on Debian ;)

I thought at first text was a good idea, but it isn't good enough atm.
André, maybe we should test with the "debian font", unfortunately it
isn't free so you will need to get the debian text image somewhere and
work on that as a layer or check if somebody has the font.

> i like current proposal (except text) but i don't think it's a killer artwork
> for etch. Not really new, near debblue style.

The current proposal needs work yes, but i don't think debblue visual
style should be our reference for Etch.

We need to define the visual items that will be in all desktop
environment images. eg:

colors: 'blueish' stuff with red (as in debian)

- wallpaper:
swirl
Debian Desktop using the "debian font" (?)

- splash:
swirl

- login screen:
swirl
Debian or Debian Desktop using the "debian font" (?)

The splash and wallpaper images needs to contain a space dedicated for
the desktop environment logo.

Btw, this is something i need to work on for the common guidelines
draft. Thoughts?

Yes. Gustavo (stratus) asked for to me to make something similar.

> When i look our main competitor, we are far from their artwork quality:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/EdgyProposals/
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Kubuntu-Edgy-Ideas

Could you give us the links to the images? I saw some weird images
there, really.

Yes. But we also can arrive there...:)
Already it is some thing when almost nothing is not had.

> I'm wondering also if this discussion must not be showed outside of
> debian-desktop ML. We'll receive more feedbacks from our users and maybe some
> other artists will be attracted. An announce for Etch artwork could be nice.
> Maybe a contest ? some promotionnal action on gnome-look/kde-look website ?

Cool!
We have time for this?

Unfortunately not for Etch. Please take a look in the thread Michael
Banck (?) started about our deadline and my answer.

regards,
-- stratus