Re: General Debian Desktop Questions

Hi yet again,

Well I really did miss out on some important dialog in that six months.
I just finished reviewing the Mail archives and I found the following
information most intersting/helpful.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-desktop/2004/02/msg00071.html
Explained a split in debian desktop subproject and what appears to be a
debian desktop cdd. I am not exactly sure how this effects things.
However it does resolve some very confusing statements I have seen.

http://packages.debian.org/testing/admin/apt-watch
Looks like the apt-watch utility made it into Sarge. I tried it out
today and it works very nicely. :-)

http://lists.debian.org/debian-desktop/2004/05/msg00015.html
This pointed out an interesting argument over the menu situation. The
long flame war on debian-devel regarding the menu situation was one of
the reasons I quit reading debian-devel. Not only did people get mad,
but there was never a solution or consensus to run with. AFAICT, it
still doesn't appear to be resolved.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-desktop/2004/06/msg00004.html
Good to see someone taking a stab at the graphical installer work. Still
looks like there is a lot to do there though. An interesting hurdle is
changing the debconf frontend on the fly. One would think that was
already feasible. Then there is the actual work of supporting GTK
DirectFB.

http://wiki.debian.net/index.cgi?DebianControlCenter
Information on the Debian Control Center project. This is some awesome
stuff. Gnome-System-tools are now already part of Debian Gnome.
Debian-KDE has some good configuration tools as well. So there appears
to be some positive progress here.

Should there be a general status update? What is everyone working on at
this point? My goal here is to get a clear idea where the subproject is
at, what needs to be done, and who is doing what.

Anyone else interested?

Thanks
--
Matthew P. McGuire <gray@shadowglade.net>