Re: fbsplash: introducing fbplash in debian (howto)

On Sunday 10 October 2004 21:33, Matthew A. Nicholson wrote:
> Bluefuture wrote:
> > In the meantime fbsplash will be officially introduced in debian, and
> > the debian kernel maintainers introduce fbsplash patch in the official
> > debian patch applied to the kernel i had founded this little howto for
> > people that want to have bootsplash on his own debian:
> > http://homepage.ntlworld.com/d3c3it/html/articles/debian-splash-nonprint.
> >htm
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Ste

How i said in my last e-mail. this way is hard for newbies that wants to get
fbsplash work. I'm working with spock (the fbsplash project manager) to get
it works in a easy way (just install 2 packages). I've already done a
experimental kernel image compatible with fbsplash. Note that to work the
kernel image must to doesn't use initrd images, that are used in the official
debian kernel.

> I have some experence with bootsplash (I was the original packager for
> debian). It seems you are doing some things the hard way.  Like your kernel
> compile. Try this:
>
> apt-get install kernel-package
> man make-kpkg

If you use the standard debian kernel, this command will built an all modulite
kernel: maybe it will do a kernel panic because it can't mount the root file
system (because the sata and ata and scsi drivers are compiled as module)

> It can make a deb of a kernel for you, also you can make a package to hold
> the kernel patches.  See kernel-patch-bootspash on bootsplash.de for an
> example. Also im not sure how the progress bar works in fbsplash, but you
> may want to check the sysv-rc-bootsplash package to see how we did it in
> the bootsplash packages.

This is a thing that i'm working on, i've already packaged a new version of
splashutils containins some patches for debian, now i'm including in this
package some needed files to get bars works.

> --
> Matthew A. Nicholson
> Matt-land.com

Live long and prosper