Re: fbsplash: introducing fbplash in debian (howto)

On Mon, 2004-10-11 at 17:33, Luis M wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 15:27:15 +0200, website <website_debian@tiscali.it> wrote:
> <snip>
> > Yes, but not everybody doesn't use initrd images. I'm working to add an
> > fbsplash support on debian in a easy way: one of its goals is to run fbspash
> > with a standard kernel.
> > fbsplash is incompatible with initrd image but it need an initramfs image to
> > work (it is done by splashutils). Fbsplash works fine in my pc with this
> > experimental kernel (it uses the standard debian config with scsi, ata and
> > sata compiled ad built in), this kernel is for mass use and doesn't need an
> > initrd image.
>
> Yeah, I found out after I restarted that CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD must be
> set to "y" for the initrd ramfs stuff to work. You should mention that
> in the howto online.
Ill will add that, bare in mind when i wrote that guide it was mostly
for my own use

> In any case, I already compiled a 2.6.8.1 kernel taking the sources
> from kernel.org and patched it using the fbsplash-0.9-r6-2.6.8.1.patch
> from the Gentoo page. It works perfectly fine. I have not venture into
> getting the progressbar to work, but i had done this before for
> bootsplash. So, it should be easy.
>
> Also, to keep things consistent, as I mentioned before, I have done
> gdm-themes and a grub background image and put all that under:
>
> http://www.latinomixed.com/downloads/debian-embelisher
>
> I have already tested the kernel, themes and others in a few Debian
> boxes (home, work, etc...) and everything works perfectly fine.
>
> My next step will be to try to automate the process with a sh or Perl
> script since this is a daunting task to undertake for e/a machine I
> use :-) I will put the script in that same directory once I'm done
> (perhaps call it install.pl and ask interactively what to do to the
> user). e.g.:
>     "Do you want to install the Debian Packages from 'deb' ? [y/N] "
>     " Do you want to patch your /boot/grub/menu.lst file and add the
> necessary lines to enable fbsplash? [y/N] "
>     etc...
>

> NOTE: the full debian-embelisher directory compressed takes a whopping
> 20MB. If anybody wants to mirror this somewhere, please let me know
> since I have a .tar.bz2 with everything in one package; and I don't
> have the bandwith to host this for lots of people, thouch I could
> potentially setup a torrent server and give people that link instead.
> In any case, this is just a temporary thing until the debian packages
> for this start showing up in debian mentor's related pages or
> somewhere else (marillat's? DDD?)
>
> --
> ----)(-----
> Luis M
> System Administrator
> LatinoMixed.com
>
> "We think basically you watch television to turn your brain off, and
> you work on your computer when you want to turn your brain on" --
> Steve Jobs in an interview for MacWorld Magazine 2004-Feb
>
> No .doc: http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.es.html
So should i scrap my port of fbsplash then seen as everyone wants
fbsplash to work with the debian precompiled kernels??
| Glyn Tebbutt |                d3c3it-linux@ntlworld.com |
|--------------'      http://homepage.ntlworld.com/d3c3it |
| gpg-key: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/d3c3it/d3c3it.gpg |
|        Lisa, if you dont like your job you dont strike, |
|         just go in everyday and do it really half-assed |
|                  Thats the American way. -Homer Simpson |