Re: fbsplash: introducing fbplash in debian (howto)

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 15:27:15 +0200, website <website_debian@tiscali.it> wrote:
<snip>
> Yes, but not everybody doesn't use initrd images. I'm working to add an
> fbsplash support on debian in a easy way: one of its goals is to run fbspash
> with a standard kernel.
> fbsplash is incompatible with initrd image but it need an initramfs image to
> work (it is done by splashutils). Fbsplash works fine in my pc with this
> experimental kernel (it uses the standard debian config with scsi, ata and
> sata compiled ad built in), this kernel is for mass use and doesn't need an
> initrd image.

Yeah, I found out after I restarted that CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD must be
set to "y" for the initrd ramfs stuff to work. You should mention that
in the howto online.

In any case, I already compiled a 2.6.8.1 kernel taking the sources
from kernel.org and patched it using the fbsplash-0.9-r6-2.6.8.1.patch
from the Gentoo page. It works perfectly fine. I have not venture into
getting the progressbar to work, but i had done this before for
bootsplash. So, it should be easy.

Also, to keep things consistent, as I mentioned before, I have done
gdm-themes and a grub background image and put all that under:

http://www.latinomixed.com/downloads/debian-embelisher

I have already tested the kernel, themes and others in a few Debian
boxes (home, work, etc...) and everything works perfectly fine.

My next step will be to try to automate the process with a sh or Perl
script since this is a daunting task to undertake for e/a machine I
use :-) I will put the script in that same directory once I'm done
(perhaps call it install.pl and ask interactively what to do to the
user). e.g.:
    "Do you want to install the Debian Packages from 'deb' ? [y/N] "
    " Do you want to patch your /boot/grub/menu.lst file and add the
necessary lines to enable fbsplash? [y/N] "
    etc...

NOTE: the full debian-embelisher directory compressed takes a whopping
20MB. If anybody wants to mirror this somewhere, please let me know
since I have a .tar.bz2 with everything in one package; and I don't
have the bandwith to host this for lots of people, thouch I could
potentially setup a torrent server and give people that link instead.
In any case, this is just a temporary thing until the debian packages
for this start showing up in debian mentor's related pages or
somewhere else (marillat's? DDD?)

--
Luis M

"We think basically you watch television to turn your brain off, and
you work on your computer when you want to turn your brain on" --
Steve Jobs in an interview for MacWorld Magazine 2004-Feb

No .doc: http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.es.html