Rewriting Init (was Re: Bootsplash?)

Matthew A. Nicholson wrote:

> I am for a complete rewrite of init, featuring dependancies and multi
> threading.  Also of course boot up graphics, text, progress bars, and
> animations.  Right now I am evaluating python as a canidate for the
> language to write it in, although I have my reservations.  I also am
> trying to determine how init scripts could be done in python.

Would any of the existing Init replacements meet your needs?

  http://redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2004-February/msg00335.html

One of the most ambitious is SystemServices, which is written in Python
and intends to support most of your requirements:

  http://www.gnome.org/~seth/blog/2003/Sep/27

The project was started last year by Gnome hacker Seth Nickell, and I'm
sure he'd appreciate help on it.  (I don't think development is active
right now.)