Re: can we find a Debian solution for Bootsplash?

> I am for a complete rewrite of init, featuring dependancies and multi threading.

Actually, you probably just want to rewrite /etc/init.d/rcS and
/etc/init.d/rc, init only does very few things, mostly low level.

I managed to write a parallel booter in python a few weeks ago, that had
an (ugly) curses gui around it. From the moment the kernel stops booting
and passes control to init the gui kicks in.

There's also something simular under development using the
"need/provides" commands to indicate dependencies between bootprocesses.

Anyway, just trying to show that it isn't init you should be hunting,
but some shell scripts instead. And replacing some dumb shellscripts is
not as hard as rewriting the whole sysv init.