Re: Current state of config tools and graphical installer issue

Am Montag, 23. Februar 2004 05:50 schrieb Matthew A. Nicholson:
> On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 23:23:05 +0100, C. Gatzemeier <c.gatzemeier@tu-bs.de>

> Well I don't see a normal desktop user using this, but it would be useful
> for sysadmins.

IIRC there are no sysadmins on a regular desktop system. The user is the
admin.

>  Don't see how this relates to debian-desktop though...

Well, just as it is important to have a decent installer, it is crucial to
have central place for configuration this is /etc. But since configuration
options/files like software are  constantly changing and evolving it is not
easy manage. Tools need to be maintained easily (decentralized).

A set of or a giant "Desktop Config Tool" is hard to keep current, and most
are only for one DE. (KDE/Gnome/...)

The Config4gnu frontends (web, Gnome, KDE, ...) don't need to be tweaked
everytime a new app needs to be configurable etc.

Please try to understand CFGs concepts to see the many benefits for Desktop
Systems. The foundation for good Desktop solutions are good GNU/Linux
solutions.

cheers,

Christian