Re: Current state of config tools and graphical installer issue

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 23:23:05 +0100, C. Gatzemeier <c.gatzemeier@tu-bs.de> wrote:

The problem appears to be most seem too Toolkit, Desktop, Distribution or
Application centered, and hard to extend. Now, I found out there already has been great work done to end this. The config4gnu (CFG) [1] project can handle complete config files on a per setting basis. This allows converting every
single setting during an upgrade even when the file fomat and available
options change. Or if you change between two altenatives, within limits of
course.

CFG provides support for complex forms or even wizard logics to run through.
And they are provided by the meta-config definitions!
.
.
.
Could anybody here also envision to bring CFG to Debian and figure out how
Debian could benefit from it?
Please check out their website and docs, and post how you think this relates. This is not something to wait for, rather somthing to start experimenting with
and getting involved with because the project has slowed down lately.

Well I don't see a normal desktop user using this, but it would be useful for sysadmins. Don't see how this relates to debian-desktop though...

--
Matthew A. Nicholson
Matt-Land.com