Re: About that List?

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 15:45:36 +0000, Peter Nuttall <peter@nuttall.ukfsn.org> wrote:

On Sunday 07 Dec 2003 1:28 pm, Florian Reichert wrote:

I thought about knoppix to be the solution for this, but ran into new
Problems, because you can't update the deb packages of knoppix with the
apt tools. (sure, technikal that works, but koppix has no own server for
ne deb Packages, so you have to use again the esting/unstable Packages).
So the only way to update knoppix in an secure way is to install it new
 from a knoppix CD or to select the deb packages by your own, to avoid
truble.

I don't think knoppix is part of debian and I think that knoppix problems
should probley be sent somewhere where the people behind it can hear.

Yes I agree. But what I meant is that knoppix is in Fact a snapshot of the Debian testing/unstable with a focus on the dektop.

What I am missing if usig unstable or testing is, that you can't rely on getting updates or new packages for your system.

Let you give me an example:
I install a debian system based upon unstable.
2 month later I woul like to install an additional KDE Package. But on the servers there is a new Version of KDE, so I have to install all KDE Stuff new.

It would be better If you release a Desktop Debian Distro, as Snapshot of unstable (or testing) and leave the packages on the servers.

I now that needs resources, not only Server capicity but also personal resources for maintaining and importand updates and testing. But I think it would be worth.

Alternative I coul imagine to provide aditional desktop extensions for the main stable Distribution. But that would affect many packages of the distribution.

Florian

--
http://www.reichertnet.de