Re: About that List?

On Sun, 2003-12-07 at 10:45, Peter Nuttall wrote:
> On Sunday 07 Dec 2003 1:28 pm, Florian Reichert wrote:
> > Hello!
> >

> Hi
>
> > I don't now exactly, what the intention this Mailinglist is, so I may be
> > OT here.
> >
> > What I am missing in the debian Project is a desktop release. I had many
> > Problems with the 3.0 release, for example the cdwriting stuff is not up
> > to date, the kde and other desktop software is outdate, the ghostscript
> > version  caused many Problems on my system ...
>
> The normal viewpoint is that debian stable is too old for desktop use. I would
> recommend that if you want a debian desktop then you use testing or unstable.
> I think that testing is up to date right now with KDE 3.1 rather than the 2.2
> version in debian 3.0 and more recent versions of most software.
>
> Or you coulds run unstable. I have been using unstable for a year now and I
> have had no major problems with it. personly I think the name is more of a
> disclaimer rather than a massive problem. I would not let my mum use it but
> if you know about unix sysmin or you know people to ask about it then you
> might as well.

Same here. Althought I have let my dad use it and he loves it. Printer
(inkjet, epson), camera (quickcam), scanner (usb) and all stuff even
Verizon DSL service works perfectly with no problem. Of course, I have
to remotely connect to his computer when he has a problem, but if it
were a Windows box I would've probably had to go to his house to
reinstall Windows from scratch ;-) With debian I can simply allow my
static IP to be the only IP allowed over SSH and do some remote
maintenance when the time comes that something breaks. Of course, I
could just teach him how to use Synaptic and do some minor things,
however, that's not the point of having a desktop system, things should
be intuitive for the not initialized (newbies) as well as good enough
for pro's who just want a simple to manage box to read emails and surf
the web. Nothing wrong with that. Which is the main reason why most
Linux users have Mac laptops (or an imac sitting somewhere).

Linux should be as good as Macintosh in the coming 2 years, or else,
what's the point of having so many developers willing to write software
for free? Linux has all the capabilities to become just as good as
Macintosh, we just need to focus all efforts in a common goal.

--
Luis M

lemsx1@latinomixed.com

 http://www.latinomixed.com/