Re: packaging control field Uploaders

Quoting Israel Dahl (2021-09-30 15:35:20)
> On 9/26/21 19:28, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > (SNIP)
>
> Due to an off list discussion I must amend my recommendation.
>
> Upstream projects use standard CONTRIBUTORS files, Debian uses tooling
> that relies on the control file fields.  Changing to standard upstream
> practices would cause much of the Debian tooling to need to be
> rewritten, so the suggestions about fields from people like Paul, are
> the accurate answer for Debian, as there is no software to handle
> reading a CONTRIBUTORS file in the same way the control file is read.
>
> Sorry if I ruffled feathers a bit with my comments.  I meant no
> disrespect to the Debian way of doing things. I thought it was an open
> question to solve that *entire* issue long term, not the specific "How
> do I do this?" question that it was, I read it differently than it was
> intended.

Thanks for your input, Israel.

I found both your posts (not _most_ helpful but) interesting.  Yes, you
kinda missed what I sought in your first response but I am interested in
the broader view as well.

Full disclosure: I am a Debian developer for quite some years, in
addition to working for Purism in recent years.  Just realize that my
choice of email address makes that unclear - Paul Wise and Daniel
Baumann are friends of mine, but this mailinglist in particular has many
subscribers less familiar with Debian folks.

Kind regards,

 - Jonas