Re: New derivatives page on Debian website

0) Sorry for the late response.

Given that Paul Wise has said:
"These should have been completely different discussions asking much
more specific things."

I'm not CCing the original mailing lists where this message was
addressed. Feel free to ask me to resend this email including additional
mailing lists CCed or forward this message if appropiated.

1) Have you written those new messages that Pabs asked for?

2) You are talking about a new page about Derivatives. Where the old
page is then ? I cannot find any of it from www.d.o even if I visit the
Site Map.

3) So... About your question on how to improve
https://www.debian.org/derivatives/ :

3.1) Define what a Debian derivative it is.
3.2) 'Why derive from Debian' should have some comparison with other
distros like Ubuntu, Fedora, CentOS, Mint, Mandriva, etc. Why is better
to derive out of Debian than those other distros?
3.3) "Detailed development information is available in the guidelines
and guidance is available from the front desk."
I would change it into:

"Detailed development information is available in the Derivatives wiki
guidelines and guidance is available from the Derivatives wiki front desk."

Maybe, not verbatim, but you are asumming people imply guidelines and
front desk are inherent to the Derivatives project itself.

3.4) In a debconf I wrote many pieces of advice on how to improve the
Derivatives wiki pages. One of those pieces of advices was to write
documentation aimed at an specific target of public.

So... your main page about Derivatives should probably answer these
questions:

3.4.1) I am a final user. Why I should care about Debian Derivatives?
What can I do for helping them or helping Debian integrating its
improvements back into Debian?

3.4.2) I am a Debian Derivative developer. Why should I join the Debian
Derivatives initiative (Yeah, I know that's not the proper name)? Why
should I contribute back to Debian.

[I think you already answer this question.]

3.4.3) I am package developer at Debian. Why should I care?
[Hint: Finding patches Debian Derivatives (thanks to a Debian
Derivatives Initiative specific tool) make at the package you maintain
and see if they are worth adding them back to Debian.]

3.4.X) Company boss, Government representative, Artist,... .

3.5 I'm not sure about this but I would enumerate four or five derivatives.

adrian15

--
Support free software. Donate to Super Grub Disk. Apoya el software
libre. Dona a Super Grub Disk. http://www.supergrubdisk.org/donate/