Re: Debian derivatives census: TurnKey Linux: welcome!

Hi Paul,

Thanks for this email and the previous one on the Mentors list. I really
appreciate the guidance and I'm sorry I never responded to it directly.
Fear not though I have read it and tried to take it on board! :)

On 23/04/14 11:35, Paul Wise wrote:
> Hi
>
> I would like to welcome yourself and TurnKey Linux to the Debian
> derivatives census! Would you like to take this opportunity to introduce
> yourself and TurnKey to us all?
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/TurnKeyLinux

Thanks for the warm welcome! :)

> It would be great if you could join our mailing list and IRC channel:
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/DerivativesFrontDesk

Ok signed up!

> I would encourage you to look at Debian's guidelines for derivatives:
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Guidelines
>
> You may want to look at our census QA page, some of the mails from there
> may apply to TurnKey.
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/CensusQA
>
> You don't appear to be subscribed to the TurnKey census page, I've
> made a few changes:
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/TurnKeyLinux?action=info

Now subscribed (both TurnKey's and the template)

> Please add a description to the TurnKey census page.

Done

> I notice that your apt repository does not contain source packages. This
> means that you may not be complying with various Free Software licenses
> (including the GNU General Public License) and thus may be distributing
> some packages without permission and violating copyright law.

All our source is on GitHub:

https://github.com/turnkeylinux

> The TurnKey census page says you modify Debian binary packages, is that
> actually the case or do you mean that you modify Debian source packages
> and rebuild them?

Sorry my bad... Mostly our repo has unique packages. We do have a couple
of customised packages (i.e. not ours) but they are built from source
(and the source is on GitHub as per above).

> I've added the TurnKey blog to Planet Debian derivatives which helps
> the Debian community find out the things that are happening in the world
> of Debian derivatives.
>
> http://planet.debian.org/deriv/

Cool, thanks! :)

> This year the annual Debian conference is in Portland, OR, USA. It would
> be great if developers from TurnKey could attend DebConf.
>
> http://debconf14.debconf.org/

I'd be great but to be honest I'm not sure whether that will happen...
Alon and Liraz are based in Israel and I'm in Australia... Although who
knows!?

> I would encourage TurnKey as a commercial distribution to contribute
> financially to ensure the continued survival of Debian and the success
> of the annual Debian conference.
>
> https://www.debian.org/donations
> http://debconf.org/sponsors/
> http://debconf14.debconf.org/become-sponsor.xhtml

That sounds like a neat idea. I'll discuss it with Alon and Liraz.

> If you are not able to do so I would encourage any attendees to
> volunteer to ensure the continued the success of the annual Debian
> conference, here are some examples of things that need helpers.
>
> https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf13/VolunteerCoordination
>
> I note that TurnKey is based on Debian stable. The Debian release
> team recently released a timeline for the freeze for the next Debian
> stable release. I would encourage you to review it and prepare your
> plans for rebasing on the next Debian release (jessie).
>
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2013/12/msg00008.html

Awesome, that sounds like a plan!

> I note that TurnKey also has lenny and squeeze in the apt repository.
> The Debian security team recently announced an LTS effort for squeeze. I
> would encourage TurnKey to help out with this effort either financially
> or with developer time. I would encourage you to drop lenny support too.
>
> http://bits.debian.org/2014/03/working-on-squeeze-lts.html
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-security-announce/2014/msg00082.html

Thanks for the suggestions. I will discuss this all with Alon and Liraz.
I think that it would make sense for our repository to match official
Debian i.e. Lenny support over so drop it and if Squeeze goes LTS then
continue to support it...

> I note that TurnKey runs on the cloud, I would encourage you to
> join the Debian Cloud team.
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/Cloud

Ok cool. I don't know whether I've personally got a lot to offer and
Alon and Liraz are pretty busy, but I'll definitely keep it in mind.

> I note that TurnKey uses duplicity, I would encourage you to help out
> the maintainer of the Debian package with the various issues listed in
> the bug tracking system and on the PTS page for duplicity.
>
> http://packages.qa.debian.org/d/duplicity.html

I don't know if you recall, but on the mentors list I mentioned that
there is at least one package that have made mods to. And duplicity is it!

TBH I don't recall exactly what the problem was (IIRC Liraz worked on
that one... or perhaps it was Alon...)

But again I'll pass on the info.

> Please feel free to circulate this mail to other TurnKey folks.

Thanks, I will but I think I'll highlight some specific stuff! :)

Thanks again for everything.

Cheers,
Jeremy