Re: Debian derivatives census: Symbiosis

Hi Paul,

On Fri 24 Feb 2012 at 10:20, Paul Wise wrote:

> On Fri, 2012-02-24 at 09:58 +0000, Patrick J Cherry wrote:
>
> > Not sure why the lenny repo isn't signed.  The squeeze one is :)
>
> Aha, I didn't know you had a new release, it would be nice if you had a
> blog we could semi-automatically add to Planet Debian Derivatives:
>
> http://planet.debian.org/deriv/
> http://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Integration

Yes, we keep it under wraps :)

> You may want to fix the wrong info and broken links in these pages:
>
> http://repo.bytemark.co.uk/symbiosis/
> http://repo.bytemark.co.uk/symbiosis/squeeze/

Ah oops, yes.  Fixed -- those were the wrong urls :)  The docs one will
404 until I've written it.

> > Well that will change a little with the new release.  There are a couple
> > of extra Ruby packages that we've added in.  However I'd be happy to have
> > it integrated into Debian properly.  There are only a couple of issues
> > that would need ironing out regarding trampling on configuration files,
> > but apart from that, with Steve already a Debian developer I guess we
> > could get our packages adopted into Sid?
>
> I think that it is easily doable to have your packages shipped in
> wheezy, you will need to consider if that is what you want though, it
> may increase your maintenance burden or have other bad effects, which
> we are in the process of brainstorming in this thread:
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-derivatives/2012/02/msg00012.html
>
> The configuration files trampling issue sounds like what DebianEdu face
> with their solutions, it would be nice to have these sorts of issues
> solved within Debian.

Indeed.  The system that I've (partly) adopted is
http://debathena.mit.edu/config-packages/ which automatically allows
sed/perl recipes to be applied against configuration files, and restores
those changes on uninstall.

> Looking at your squeeze repo, your ruby packages will need some updates
> for the new ruby packaging policy for wheezy:
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Ruby/Packaging

Ugh yes.  That page doesn't really explain how native Debian packages
are supposed to be treated either.

Ah well.  I need to get these docs finished and published.

--
Patrick J Cherry                               Bytemark Hosting Support
                                             http://www.bytemark.co.uk/